Government of Saskatchewan
Thursday, December 05, 2019
Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority

Working with a Real Estate Professional


Thinking about buying or selling a condo or a house?

Entering the real estate market is a big decision. If you’re thinking about hiring a real estate agent or broker, make sure you do the research necessary to make informed decisions.

What’s the difference between a real estate agent, a broker, and a realtor?

  • Real Estate Agent:  Real estate agents are registered salespersons with the Saskatchewan Real Estate Commission. A real estate agent must work for an employing broker and cannot work independently.

  • Real Estate Broker:  Real estate brokers can work independently and / or hire real estate salespersons. Brokers are also registered with the Saskatchewan Real Estate Commission and are held to higher standards of knowledge than real estate agents. Brokers are responsible for their real estate agents' actions.

  • REALTOR®: A Realtor can be a real estate broker or a real estate agent. It is a title that means the individual belongs to the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and subscribes to its extensive Code of Ethics.

Work with a registered real estate agent or broker

If you are using an agent to buy or sell property, make sure they are registered with the Saskatchewan Real Estate Commission (SREC). To check registration visit SREC’s registration search page. It is an offence under The Real Estate Act for a person to trade in real estate without a registration with SREC.

If you plan to buy or sell a house yourself, make sure you understand the risks involved.

Can agents and brokers represent both the buyer and seller?

According to the law, agents have to protect and promote their client’s interest.

  • Your agent has to tell you in writing if they represent both the buyer and seller.

  • Ask your agent to explain how this situation will work in your case.

  • Remember, you are your own best champion – protect and promote your interests by learning more.

If you are having problems with your agent or broker:

  • Speak to them directly.
  • Speak to the brokerage.
  • If your issue hasn’t been resolved, you can file a complaint against the agent/broker, by completing the SREC’s Complaint Form.

© 2019 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.