Government of Saskatchewan
Thursday, December 05, 2019
Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority

Travel Insurance

When planning a trip outside of Canada, people often consider purchasing travel insurance.

There are many different types of travel insurance available. Policies may include coverage for medical related losses such as hospitalization and ambulance costs, or non-medical coverage such as trip cancellation and lost baggage. It’s important to know what kind of coverage you have so you don’t get caught footing the bill for something you thought was covered.

Travel insurance tips

When purchasing travel insurance, here are some important tips to consider:

  • Purchase the coverage you need - make sure you know what types of coverage you want. There are different coverage options available and possibly not all of them are suitable for your needs. Carefully read the policy to understand what you are agreeing to.
  • Understand the exclusions and pre-existing conditions clauses – you are required to fill out an application when applying for coverage. It is your obligation to provide the insurer with an accurate response to the questions. If you have questions about the application, contact your insurance agent or insurer. If you have questions about your medical history, contact your doctor. If you fail to provide the health and medical information requested or provide inaccurate information, your future claim may be denied.
  • Read your policy – even though insurance policies and documents may be lengthy and complex, make sure you take the time to read these documents so you know what type of coverage you have and what types of exclusions may apply. If you have questions, ask the provider before you purchase the insurance.
  • Understand the claims process – before you purchase insurance make sure you understand the claims process, what is required and who to contact. Knowing the process before a situation arises can prevent unnecessary stress.

Dispute a claim

If your claim was denied by your insurance provider, call them and try and resolve the issue.

If you are still not satisfied with the response, contact the OmbudService for Life and Health Insurance (OLHI) in the case of health claims, or the General Insurance Ombudservice in the case of property claims. These organizations provide independent complaint resolution and information services for the insurance industry. Time restrictions might apply, so make sure to ask the OmbudService about limitation periods.

OmbudService for Life & Health Insurance
Attention: General Manager
First Edmonton Place
10665 Jasper Avenue,14th Floor
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3S9
Edmonton 780-643-6165
Toll Free Canada 1-888-295-8112

File a complaint

If you want to file a complaint about an insurer, please contact FCAA:

Superintendent of Insurance
Insurance and Real Estate Division
Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority
Suite 601, 1919 Saskatchewan Drive
Regina, Saskatchewan S4P 4H2
Phone: (306) 787-6700
Fax: (306) 787-9006

If you want to file a complaint about an insurance agent, please contact:

Insurance Councils of Saskatchewan
2631 - 28th Avenue
Regina SK S4S 6X3
Bus (306) 347-0862
Fax (306) 347-0525

© 2019 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.